Dr. Rose Ann Clark
Title: Professor, Analytical Chemistry/Chemistry Dept. Chair
Academic Department: Chemistry
Office Location: Science Center 208
- B.S., University of North Carolina - Wilmington
- Ph.D., North Carolina State University
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, The Pennsylvania State University
Research & Teaching
- Cytochrome c electrochemistry on self-assembled monolayers
- Surface analysis of mixed self-assembled monolayers
- Educational research and coursework development in Green Chemistry and GC/MS funded through NSF-CCLI Grants
- Chem 101 and 102 Chemical Principles I and II
- Chem 103 and 104 Human Chemistry I and II
- Chem 208 and 308 Forensics and Forensic Chemistry
- Chem 251 and 303 Quantitative Analysis and Instrumental Analysis
- Other courses: Environmental Chemistry, Homeland Security, and Forensics
Papers & Presentations
- 23. Trout, Colin; Smith; Laura E.; Marciniak, Agnieszka N.; Basile, Caitlin A.; Kirby, David J.; Clark, Rose A. “ Characterizing the Surface Acidity of Carboxylic Acid terminated Self-Assembled Monolayers using Electrochemical Titration. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemsitry (689 (2013) 284–290).
- 22. Marciniak, A. N., Ritchey, L. E., & Clark, Ph.D., R. A. Surface pKa and cytochrome c: How the Surface pKa of a Self-Assembled Monolayer affects the Formal Reduction Potential and the Electron Transfer Rate of Absorbed Cytochrome c. Spectrum, 2012 3(1), 12-17.
- 21. Clark, Rose A.; Horner, Anthony; Zovinka, Edward P. “Measuring Potassium in Muscle Tissue through the use of an Atomic Emission Spectrometer”, Journal of Undergraduate Research June 2012 (Vol.11, #1).
- 20. Clark, Rose A.; Stock, Anne; Zovinka, Edward P. “Metalloporphyrins as Oxidation Catalysts:
An Inorganic Process through Green Chemistry Methods” J. Chem. Educ., 2012, 89 (2), pp 271–275.
- 19. Clark, Rose A.; Stock, Anne; Zovinka, Edward P. “Metalloporphyrins as Oxidation Catalysts:
An Inorganic Process through Green Chemistry Methods” Spectrum, 2010.
- 18. Kathryn Davis, Brianna Drews, Hongjun Yue, Katie Knorr, David Waldeck and Rose A. Clark; “Electron transfer kinetics of covalently attached cytochrome c/SAM/Au electrode assemblies” in preparation, copy of paper in promotion package. J. Phys. Chem. C. 2008, 112, 6571-6576.
- 17. Hongjun Yue, Kim Schrock, Katie Knorr, Stephanie Switzer, David Kirby, Joe Rosmus, David Waldeck and Rose A. Clark; “Multiple Sites for Electron Tunneling between Cytochrome c and Mixed Self-Assembled Monolayers (SAM)” J. Phys. Chem. C. 2008, 112, 2514-2521.
- 16. Yue, Hongjun, Petrovic, Jelena; Rose A.; Waldeck, David H.; “Ionic Strength as a Probe to the Kinetic Interactions between Cytochrome c and Self-assembled Monolayers”. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 5062-5072.
- 15. Petrovic, Jelena; Yue, Hongjun; Clark, Rose A.; Waldeck, David H.; and Bowden, Edmond F. “Impact of Surface Immobilization and Solution Ionic Strength on the Formal Potential of Immobilized Cytochrome c”. Langmuir 2005, 21, 6308-6316.
- 63. Clark, Rose A.; Trout, Colin; Smith, Laura; “Characterizing the Surface of Mixed Carboxylic Acid/Alcohol Self-Assembled Monolayers on Various Gold Substrates. Presented at The Penn State University Materials Research Laboratory, May 14th 2013.
- 62. Clark, Rose A. Served at Invited Panelist at Postdoc to PUI workshop sponsored by the American Chemical Society and the National Science Foundation at Hope College, Holland Michigan. April 11-13, 2013.
- 61. Clark, Rose A.; Smith, Laura; Marciniak, Aggie; Perrone, Trina “Characterizing the Surface Acidity of Mixed Carboxylic Acid/Alcohol Self-Assembled Monolayers Using Electrochemical Titration. Fall 2013 Undergraduate Research Day, SFU.
- 60. Clark, Rose A. “Engaging Educators in Design Based Science”. Bienniel Conference on Chemical Education 2012. Oral presentation in State College, Pennsylvania, August 1st 2012.
- 59. Clark, Rose; Remillard, Arthur; Remillard, Katherine; Bintrim, Timothy; Baker, Stephen; Julin, Grant, Zovinka, Edward. Presented “Francis of Assisi, Beyond the Birdbath: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Teaching Compassion” as part of a faculty team at the 88th Annual Meeting of the Society for Values in Higher Education, August 4th 2012 at Drew University, Madison, New Jersey.
- 58. Clark, Rose A.; Trout, Colin; Smith, Laura; Marciniak, Aggie; Weinzierl, Mara; Schirra, Catherine; and Kurtz, D. Chris “Characterizing the Surface Acidity of Mixed Carboxylic Acid/Alcohol Self-Assembled Monolayers Using Electrochemical Titration. Invited Speaker for Seminar Series, Duquesne University, 11/18/11.
- 57. Clark, Rose A.; Trout, Colin; Smith, Laura; Marciniak, Aggie; Weinzierl, Mara; Schirra, Catherine; and Kurtz, D. Chris “Surface pKa and Cytochrome c: How the surface pKa of a Self-Assembled Monolayer affects Redox Potential and Electron transfer rates.” Invited speaker Bioanalytical Electrochemistry Symposium, Southeast Regional Meeting of the American Chemical Society, Oct. 27th, 2011.
- 56. Clark, Rose A. presented at the Spring Faculty Poster Session March, 2011. “Chemistry 205 in a New Environment: Experience Environmental Chemistry in Ambialet, France.”
- 55. Clark, Rose A. presented at the 2011 Tripartite Symposium sponsored by the ACS, Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh, and Spectroscopy Society of Pittsburgh, May 4th, 2011. The symposium “Effective Practices and Current Challenges in STEM Education in Western Pennsylvania” was held at the University of Pittsburgh. Presented results from the recently completed 5-year STEP grant focusing on recruiting and retaining STEM majors funded by NSF.
- 54. Trout, Colin; Schirra, Catherine; Clark, Rose A. “Electrochemical Titration of Self- Assembled Monolayers: A Comparison of Surface Composition and Ordering” scheduled to present at the National American Chemical Society Meeting, Anaheim, California. 3/28/2011.
- 53. Clark, Rose A. “Chemistry 205 in a New Environment: Experience Environmental Chemistry in Ambialet, France”. Spring Faculty Development Committee Poster Session, 3/24/11.
- 52. Trout, Colin; Schirra, Catherine; Clark, Rose A. ”Electrochemical Titration of Self- Assembled Monolayers: A Comparison of Surface Composition and Ordering” presented at the University of North Carolina – Pembroke, Chemistry Honor Society Meeting, 3/5/2011.
- 51. Schirra, Catherine; Clark, Rose A., "Developing Electrochemical Methods for the Detection of Metals in Acid Mine Drainage Samples" presented at Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Research Poster Session, 10/16/2010.
- 50. Clark, Rose A., Presented “Careers in Science” at Hollidaysburg Middle School. Invited Speaker April 16th, 2010 and May, 2011.
Professional Memberships & Service
- American Chemical Society
- American Chemical Society - Division of Analytical Chemistry
- Society for Electroanalytical Chemists, Board Member
- Sigma Xi, Chemistry Research Honor Society
- Society of Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh
PA Society for Teaching Scholars
- Scholarships, Chair Elect Starter Grant 2011-12, Chair 2012-13
- High School Scholarships, Chair Elect 2012-13, Chair 2013-14
- Iota Sigma Pi –Honor Society for Women in Chemistry
- Awards Committee Member (2004)
- Community Science Outreach, Rural outreach chemistry for kids and the TEAMs project (for elementary and middle school science education)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry and Electrochemical Communications
- Department of Labor, U.S. Women’s Bureau Girl’s E-Mentoring in Science, Engineering and Technology.
- Reviewer for the National Science Foundation grants