Trina Thompson DrPH, MPH, BSN
Title: Director of Public Health
School: Health Sciences
Academic Department: Public Health
Office Location: Sullivan 101
Office Hours: Tues & Thurs 12:00-1:30
Additional Contact Information: Public Health Department: 814-472-3075
- Education: DrPH (Epidemiology): University of Pittsburgh
- MPH (Behavioral & Community Health Services): University of Pittsburgh
- BS (Nursing): Penn State
Trina Thompson, DrPH, MPH, BSN, Director and Assistant Professor, Public Health Program
Dr Thompson is the Director of the Public Health Program at Saint Francis University (SFU) where she is responsible for the overall undergraduate public health curriculum. She received her master's and doctorate degrees in public health from the University of Pittsburgh and a BS in nursing from Penn State. Dr Thompson has acquired a breadth of public health experience in Pittsburgh, PA, where she worked for Highmark Inc, the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. Her experience includes presenting innovative strategies for health care improvement, directing a subclinical cardiovascular research facility, teaching, management and leadership roles, and emergency department nursing. She has extensive experience with international multicenter clinical trials that focus on subclinical cardiovascular disease and other inter-related chronic conditions. She has taught at various universities, colleges and hospitals. Dr Thompson has volunteered her time teaching elementary students and communities about health promotion and prevention. She has published in peer-reviewed journals, contributed to improving medical devices and designing web-based data entry systems and software applications for healthcare business and research. She is devoted to developing relationships with local health-impacting organizations and professionals that are committed to improving the health of local residents, particularly in rural PA.
- Teaching and Learning Strategies
- Wellness and Prevention
- Subclinical Cardiovascular disease
- Women’s Health
Teaching & Professional Activities
- PUBH 101: Introduction to Public Health
- PUBH 110: Concepts of Health and Disease
- PUBH 401: Global Health
- PUBH 202: Epidemiology
- Member of American Public Health Association
- Delta Omega, Honorary Society in Public Health
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Thompson, T, Shields,KJ, Wildman, RW, Barinas-Mitchell, E, Newman, A, Sutton-Tyrrell, K. Calcified Carotid Artery Plaques Predict Cardiovascular Outcomes in the Elderly. Atherosclerosis. 2012 submitted
- Kao, A, Lertratanakul, A; Elliott, J; Sattar, A; Santelices, L, Shaw, P; Birru, M, Avram, Z; Thompson, T; Sutton-Tyrrell, K; Ramsey-Goldman, R, Manzi, S. Carotid Intima-Media Thickness and Plaque Predict Future Cardiovascular Events in Women with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. JAMA. 2012; submitted Aug
- Woodard G, Narla V, Ye R, Cauley J, Thompson T, Matthews K, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Racial Differences in the Association between Carotid Plaque and Aortic and Coronary Artery Calcification Among Women Transitioning the Menopause. Menopause. 2012 Feb;19(2):157-63.
- Sutton-Tyrrell K, Venkitachalam L, Phil M, Kanaya AM, Boudreau R, Harris T, Thompson T, Mackey RH, Visser M, Vaidean GD,. Newman AB, Relationship of Ankle Blood Pressures to Cardiovascular Events in Older Adults. Stroke 2008, 39:863-869.
- Thompson T. Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wildman R, Fitzgerald SG, Kazienko BS, Tracy RP, Kuller LH, Brockwell S, Manzi S. Progresson of Carotid Intima-media Thickness and Plaque in Women with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Arthritis & Rheumatism, 2008, 58(3):835-842.
- Thompson T. Dissertation: Intima Media Thickness and Plaque in the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk. ISBN 9780542750212, 143.
- Zborowski J, Talbott E, Rager J, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Determinants of Aortic Stiffness Among Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and Healthy Controls of Similar Age (P49) Presented 4/05 at AHA Cardiovascular Epidemiology and Disease Prevention council meeting. Circulation. 2005 April;111(14);203.
- Patel AS, Mackey RH, Wildman RP, Thompson T, Matthews K, Kuller L, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Cardiovascular risk factors associated with enlarged diameter of the abdominal aortic and iliac arteries in healthy women. Atherosclerosis. 2005 Feb;178(2):311-7
- Wildman RP, Farhat GN, Patel AS, Mackey RH, Brockwell S, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Weight change is associated with change in arterial stiffness among healthy young adults. Hypertension 2005;45:187-192
- Gungor N, Arslanian S, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Thompson T, Janosky JE. Early signs of cardiovascular disease in youth with obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2005; 28(5):1219-1221
- Wildman RW, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Thompson T, Obesity is associated with larger arterial diameters in Caucasian and African American young adults, Diabetes Care, 2004;27:2997-2999.
- Wildman RP, Mackey RH, Bostom A, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Measures of obesity are associated with vascular stiffness in young and older adults. Hypertension. 2003; 42:468-473
- Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wildman R. Continuous Quality Assessment Programs Can Improve Carotid Duplex Scan Quality. Journal of Vascular Technology 25(1):33-39, 2001.
- Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wolfson SK, Johnson D: Reproducibility of Carotid Duplex Scanning for a Quality Assurance Program. Journal of Vascular Technology Nov./Dec. 1993
- Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wolfson SK, Thompson T, Kelsey SF: Measurement Variability in Duplex Scan Assessment of Carotid Atherosclerosis. Stroke 1992;23:215-220.
- Thompson T, Moosa H, Higgins R, Harrison A, Wolfson SK: Diagnosis of Internal Carotid Artery Aneurysm Using Duplex Scanning and Color-Flow Doppler. J Vascular Technology 16(1):35-38, 1992.
Abstracts & Presentations
- MK Blank, RD Jacisin, DJ Donovan, T Thompson, C Nesbit, LL D’Amico, L Weiland, M Madden. Pay for Performance (PFP) Program Risk Assessment (RA) to Facilitate Appropriate Selection of Hospital Units for Implementation of Active Surveillance Testing (AST) and Transmission Reduction of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), SHEA Conference, 04/2008, submitted
- Donovan D, Weiland L, Blank M, Jacisin R, Madden M, Thompson T, Payor Driven Effort to Raise the Bar on Quality: MRSA. IHI National Conference, Dec. 9-12, 2007, FL.
- Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Brockwell S, Wildman RP, Kazienko B, Fitzgerald S, Manzi S. Lupus-specific risk factors are associated with progression of carotid intima-media thickness and plaque in women with systemic lupus erythematosus. AHA Abstract from 46th Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention in association with the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism. March 2-5, 2006, Phoenix, AZ. Page 81, P240.
- Rhew EY, McPherson DD, Dyer AR, Kondos GT, Edmundowicz D, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Chung A, Smulevitz B, Thompson T, Ramsey-Goldman R. Atherosclerotic markers increase early in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Am Coll Cardiol 45:416A (1126-141), 2005
- Gungor N, Thompson T, Sutton-Tyrrell, Janosky J, Arslanian S. Early signs of cardiovascular disease in youth with obesity. Satellite Symposium, Physical activity and obesity: From mechanism to management. June 5-6, 2005, Istanbul/Turkey
- Wildman RP, Farhat GN, Thompson TK, Patel AS, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Weight gain is associated with accelerated progression of vascular stiffness among young adults. AHA, 45th Annual Conference on CVD Epidemiology and Prevention. April 29-May 2, Washington DC, Circulation 2005;111 (14):e
- Zborowski JV, Talbott EO, Rager JR, Thompson TK, Sutton-Tyrrell K. Determinants of aortic stiffness among women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and healthy controls of similar age. 45th Annual Conference on CVD Epidemiology and Prevention. April 29-May 2, Washington DC, P49. Circulation 2005;111 (14):e203
- Martin JP, Schott LL, Pan JW, Thompson T, Nimbalkar A, Johnston A, Sutton-Tyrrell K, “Management of Research Publications through a Publications and Presentations Monitoring Systems.”25th Annual Meeting of the Society for Clinical Trials, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 23-26, 2004
- Wildman RP, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Thompson T, Matthews KA, Muldoon MF, Kelsey SF, Kuller LH. Cardiovascular reactivity to mental stress & psychosocial factors as risk factors for vascular stiffness. 43rd Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention in association with the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism. March 5-8, 2003, Fontainebleau Hilton Resort, Miami, FL, program, poster abstract P130. http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/7/e7001
- Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wildman R, Thompson T, Bostom A, Selhub J. Homcysteine as a Risk Factor for Hypertension and Vascular Stiffness, Asia Pacific Scientific Forum/42nd Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention, April 23-26, 2002
- Wildman R, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Bostom A, Thompson T, Selhub J, Mayer J. Homocysteine as a risk factor for hypertension and vascular stiffness. AHA 42nd Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention. Honolulu Hawaii, April 17-21, 2002, P152 published electronically at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/7/e7001
- Patel A, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Thompson T, Mackey R, Matthews K, Kuller L. Postmenopausal risk factors associated with dilation of the abdominal aorta and iliac arteries. AHA 42nd Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention. Honolulu Hawaii, April 17-21, 2002, P95 published electronically at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/7/e7001
- Patel A, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Mackey R, Thompson T, Matthews K, Kuller L. Postmenopausal Risk Factors Associated with Dilation of the Abdominal Aorta, Asia-Pacific Scientific Forum/AHA Epi Council April 23-26, 2002.
- Gungor N, Thompson T, Janosky J, Sutton-Tyrrell K, Arslanian S. Premature Aging of the Cardiovascular System in Youth With Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. PLATFORM PRESENTATION at the 2004 Pediatric Academic Societies' Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA 5/2/2004.
- Sutton-Tyrrell K, Wildman R, Thompson T, Newman AB. Weight and waist circumference are associated with vascular aging in young and older adults. AHA 42nd Annual Conference on Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention. Honolulu Hawaii, April 17-21, 2002,134 Presentation published electronically at http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/7/e7001