Military Benefits & ROTC

at Saint Francis University

  • Types of Aid for Military & Veterans

    There are many types of financial assistance available to military personnel and veterans. This is a brief outline of some of your options. Once you have applied for enrollment at Saint Francis University, we suggest that you set up an appointment to meet with our coordinator of military affairs for VA and financial counseling.

    ROTC Scholarships

    Reserved Officer's Training Corp Scholarships are available for Saint Francis University students through the U.S. Army. Learn more about the Military Affairs at Saint Francis.

    Yellow Ribbon 

    Institutions that voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA will match that amount and issue payment directly to the institution. Saint Francis is proud to announce that we will be contributing 50 % towards the Yellow Ribbon program: the maximum allotment permitted. Learn more about the yellow ribbon program  by calling our Military Affairs coordinator

     2015 military ad

    Saint Francis accepts all VA educational benefits opportunities.Learn more at the VA site: GI Bill Benefits

  • Military Affairs Contacts

    Contact us with any questions. We look forward to serving you!

    Laura Papcunik
    Coordinator of Military Affairs

    Mr. Glenn Sudol, ROTC Enrollment and Scholarship Officer

    Veterans Affairs

    Flag on campus

  • Getting Started

    First Time Receiving Benefits: Chapters 30, 30 (section 3020), 31, 32, 33, 34, 1606, 1607

    If you are an honorably/medically discharged veteran of the Armed Services that wishes to utilize veteran benefits for the first time, fill out VA FORM 1990 online at You will have to enroll in EBenefits to begin the electronic application. A copy of this form should be sent to the Veterans Administration’s Eastern Office at: Veterans Administration, PO Box 4616, Buffalo, NY, 14240-4616, ATTN: MGIB, and a copy should be presented to the Veterans Certifying Official in Military Affairs at Saint Francis.

    Dependent of a Deceased/Disabled Veteran: Chapter 35

    If you are the dependent of a deceased or 100% disabled veteran, you will have to fill out VA FORM 22-5490 on line at You will have to enroll in EBenefits to begin the electronic application. A copy should be sent to the Veterans Certifying Official in Military Affairs. You must also give the Veterans Certifying Official the VA File Number of the deceased/disabled Veteran.

    Transferring Benefits to Saint Francis University

    If you are a current/honorably/medically discharged veteran that has utilized benefits in the past from another institution, you will have to fill out the VA FORM 1995 to receive benefits at Saint Francis University. One copy should be presented to the Veterans Certifying Official in Military Affairs. Most military transcripts can be requested via Joint Servicemember Transcript (JST) system online at

    Semester Certifications

    Each semester, the Veterans Certifying Official will certify your enrollment by filing the VA FORM 1999 electronically through the VA ONCE system. If prior to/throughout the semester your credit amount changes, it is your responsibility to notify the Veterans Certifying Official in Military Affairs.

    WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment)

    Continuing students' can certify their enrollment once a month by dialing: 1-877-823-2378 or on the web at

    What Chapter am I?

    Since the Department of Veterans Affairs handles education benefits pertaining to all veterans and dependents of veterans, there are several different chapters that students fall in to. The following is a brief description of each Chapter covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For a more comprehensive description, eligibility requirements, and benefit information, please reference the GI Bill Website or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    Chapter 30 MGIB Educational Assistance Program:

    If you served or are currently serving on active duty.

    Chapter 30 section 3020 MGIB “Transfer of Entitlement” Program:

    If you are the spouse or child of a person who qualified for the above Chapter 30 AND believe that your parent/spouse transferred entitlement to you.

    Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation:

    You must be 10% or greater disabled (identified by the VA) to be considered. The Department of Veterans Affairs must approve entrance into this program.

    Chapter 32 Post-Vietnam Era Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program VEAP:

    If you served on active duty at any time from January 1, 1977 through June 30, 1985 AND either contributed funds or had your service branch make contributions for you.

    Chapter 33 the Post 9/11 “NEW” GI Bill:

    If you qualify for either: Chapter 30, Chapter 31, Chapter 1606, or Chapter 1607, you may qualify for this new program effective August 1, 2009. Please reference the VA website at for more information regarding this excellent opportunity.

    Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance:

    If you are a spouse or child of a 100% service-connected disabled veteran OR spouse or child of a veteran that died in service or of a service-connected disability.

    Chapter 1606 MGIB Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program:

    If you are on Selected Reserve status (Reserve or National Guard).

    Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program:

    If you are a Reservist that was called to active duty to support contingency or other specific operations.

Schedule a Visit