Dr. Pete Skoner
Title: Associate Provost, Professor
Academic Department: Engineering
Department: Academic Affairs
Phone: (814) 472-3085
Office Location: 313 Scotus Hall
- Ed.D.; Indiana University of Pennsylvania; May, 1992.
- M.Ed.; Saint Francis University; May, 1985.
- M.B.A.; Indiana University of Pennsylvania; May, 1984.
- B.S.; The Pennsylvania State University; Mining Engineering; May 1979.
- Physics 101 - Physical Science
- Physics 121 - General Physics I
- Physics 122 - General Physics II
- Engineering 101 - Introduction to Engineering
- Engineering 201 - Engineering Statics
- Engineering 202 - Engineering Dynamics
Certifications and Registrations
- Registered Professional Engineer, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, since 1985
- Mathematics Instructional I Teaching Certificate, Pennsylvania Department of Education, 1984
Academic Career Information
- Professor of Physics, 1999 to Present.
- Associate Professor of Physics, 1993-1999.
- Assistant Professor of Physical Science and Management, 1989-1993.
- Instructor, 1984-1989.
- Lecturer, 1983-1984.
- Tenured since 1990.
- Associate Provost, 2008-Present
- Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, 2002-Present.
- Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs, 1993-2002.
- Chair of Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physical Sciences Department, 1987-1994 and 200-2002.
- President of Faculty Senate, 1990-1992.
- Mining Engineer, Bethlehem Mines Corporation, 1979-1982
- NASA/ASEE Summer Faculty Internship Program; Research Fellow; Langley Research Center in Hampton, VA; Summer 1985.
- Mathematics Teacher, Central Cambria High School, 1984
- Integration of Technology into Teaching and Learning in Science
- Retention and Attrition Patterns in Science and Mathematics Education.
- Skoner, P.R., and Datsko, R. “Mathematics in Sports: Singing the Baseball Blues in Pittsburgh,” Mathematics Education and Teacher Exchange Report, 10(1), February 2006, p.3.
- Skoner, P.R., “Happy Prime New Year!” Mathematics Education and Teacher Exchange Report, 9(1), January 2003, p. 3.
- Skoner, P.R., “Celebrate Mathematics during this Palindromic New Year,” Mathematics Education and Teacher Exchange Report, 8(1), January 2002, p. 5.
- Skoner, P.R., S. King, and D. Fredricks, “Summer Reading Program Raises Important Issues for Students,” The Freshman Year Experience Newsletter, 8 (3), Spring 1996, pp. 4-5.
- Skoner, P.R., and G.J. Rooney, "SOAR to College Success: A Collaborative Approach for a Pre-Enrollment Summer Orientation Program," Proceedings of the 14th Annual National Conference for the Freshman Year Experience, February 1995, pp. 161-162
- Skoner, P.R., An Analysis of the Effects of High Calculus on Achievement in Undergraduate Calculus, Indiana University of Pennsylvania; Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation; May 1992.
- Skoner, P.R., and A. Baylock, "Computer Integration in Undergraduate Statistics Classes," Proceedings of the Fifth Annual Eastern Small College Computing Conference, 5 (2), November 1989, pp. 211-214.
- Skoner, P.R., and M.R. Jalongo, "Retention Problems in Pre-engineering Programs," Engineering Education, 78 (7), April 1988, pp. 692-694.
- Saint Michael Catholic Church, Parish Council, 2006-present.
- American Cancer Society Relay for Life, Sidman Relay, 2005.
- Forest Hills Baseball Boosters, President, 2003-2008
- American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO), Richland Executive Board, 2000-2002, Field Director 1999-2002, Coach 1996-2002.
- Croyle Township Planning Committee, Secretary, 1990 to 1995.
- Forest Hills Little League; President, 2000-2002; Coach, since 1996-2002.
- Forest Hills School District Business/Office Advisory Committee, since 2002-2006
- Kappa Mu Epsilon, Honorary Mathematics Society member, since 1987; National Historian since 2009; Corresponding Secretary of SFU, since 1988; Great Lakes (Region 2) Director, since 1995.
- Laurel Highlands Mathematics Alliance, Executive Board, since 1993; President 1999-2008; Treasurer 2008 to present
- Visiting Evaluation Team Member; Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE); Area of Mathematics
- Peer Reviewer, NCAA Division I Certification Process.
- Saint Francis University Swatsworth Outstanding Faculty Award, 1993 and 2003
- Saint Francis University Alumni Association Distinguished Faculty Award, 2002